Health insurance

You are obliged to have insurance during your time in Switzerland. Make sure that you have all the necessary documents.

If you are an EU/EFTA national

Please bring your European Health Card with you.

You will find all the information about the procedure to follow if you need treatment here

If you have taken out private insurance, make sure that it is recognised in Switzerland.  Fill in the form Attestation by a foreign insurer to secure exemption from statutory insurance in Switzerland, which must be signed by your insurer (form available only in French and German)
Attestation by a foreign insurer to secure exemption from statutory insurance in Switzerland

If you are not an EU/EFTA national

You must take out health insurance in Switzerland.

If you are going to stay in Switzerland for more than 90 days and therefore need to apply for a residence permit, the following health insurances are appropriate: and

On the other hand, if you arrive with a Schengen Visa, will be in Switzerland for less than 90 days and therefore do not need to apply for an official residence permit from a Swiss immigration authority, you can take out a Schengen visa insurance:

Exceptions to the obligation to insure can sometimes be applied. Please refer to the Federal Ordinance on Health Insurance.


For recipients of excellence scholarships from the Swiss Confederation, the Secretariat of the Federal Grants Commission undertakes the procedures for taking out health insurance. 


  • If you wish to practise sports, such as skiing, in Switzerland, make sure that your health insurance covers the risk.
  • In Switzerland, the costs of dental treatment are not covered by health insurance and are very expensive. Ask your insurer.


Personal civil liability

You are personally liable if you cause material or bodily damage to a third party, whether deliberately or not. You are also personally liable if people, animals or things for whom/which you are responsible cause damage to others.  It is therefore recommended that you take out personal civil liability insurance for the duration of your stay.

Dental Coverage

The dental coverage are not covered by the insurance and has to be paid by yourself. Additional information can be found on this website: