Visa and residence permit
Choose Fribourg Download Welcome Guide 22/23
Students coming from a university with which Unifr has a valid exchange agreement and wishing to study for 1 or 2 semesters at the University of Fribourg (Unifr), may do so as a freemover student.
Please read the information guide "Welcome Guide" and contact the International Relations Office at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
To take part in a mobility placement at Unifr as a freemover student, the following conditions must be met:
1. University with which Unifr has a valid exchange agreement
Only Freemover students coming from a university with which Unifr has a valid exchange agreement can study for 1 or 2 semesters at the University of Fribourg (Unifr).
You must be registered as a student at your home university
3. Confirmation from your home university
Letter from your home university agreeing to your mobility placement at Unifr
4. Sufficient language skills
You must be sufficiently proficient in the appropriate language to be able to follow courses.
You must check that the courses available at Unifr correspond to your academic background.
Applications and deadlines
The International Relations Office will send a link to your personal email address (NB.: Check your junk /spam folder regularly for legitimate emails). We invite you to follow this link to submit your application online.
- Non-EU students - for the academic year and the autumn semester: 31 March
- EU students - for the academic year and the autumn semester: 31 May
- Non-EU students - for the spring semester: 30 September
- EU students - for the spring semester: 31 October.
You must submit the following documents (in Word or PDF format) with your application:
- Signed application form (summing up the online application)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
- Copy of your valid passport or identity card
- Study contract - your projected study plan
- List of courses currently taken
- List of credits obtained (transcript of records)
- Language passport or proof of language proficiency (language test result if possible)
- Written confirmation from your university
Votre candidature sera analysée et confirmée par le Service des relations internationales.
Your application will be checked and confirmed by the International Relations Office. After analysis of your application, a registration certificate will be sent to you. This document is required to apply for your visa.
Freemover students coming from a university with which Unifr has a valid exchange agreement, are exempt from registration fees.
If this is the case, the International Relations Office will inform the applicant.
- Prepare your stay
- Your studies in Fribourg
End of stay
When your placement is drawing to a close, we would hope that you will have made the most of it and found it an unforgettable experience. Before you leave, do not forget the following.
At the University of Fribourg:
- Mobility students must send their record of studies (carnet d'études) by email to the International Relations Office to obtain their transcript of records.
- Students on the Swiss Mobility programme are not required to keep a record of their studies. They should enquire at the Dean's Office of their faculty to have a certificate of grades drawn up.
- You must fill in the "final report" form sent by the International Relations Office. Use this opportunity to let us know how we can make things even better for future exchange students.
Your rental guarantee (deposit) may not be refunded in full in the case of damage or insufficient cleaning. Please clean your room and the communal areas regularly and make sure they are clean when you hand in your keys.
Close the bank or postal account you opened on arrival.
Share your experience
Share on Share on
Feel free to let others know about your mobility exchange, whether during your stay abroad or on your return, through a blog, on social media, when meeting other students, etc. Your international experience is rich from the academic, personal and social point of view. Give others the benefit of it! Don't forget to tag @unifr_international in your photos! Use hashtag #unifrinternational.