Visa and residence permit
Choose Fribourg Download Fact Sheet 23/24 Download Welcome Guide 22/23
An exchange agreement enables students from partner universities to study for 1 or 2 semesters at the University of Fribourg (Unifr).
Your home university must nominate you to the International Relations Office of Unifr.
Conditions of admission
To take part in a mobility placement with Unifr under an exchange agreement, the following conditions must be met:
- Existence of an agreement
An exchange agreement must exist between your university/institution and Unifr.
- Official nomination
You must be officially nominated by your home university.
- Sufficient language skills
You must be sufficiently proficient in the appropriate language to be able to follow courses.
You must check that the courses available at Unifr correspond to your academic background.
If you are involved in an exchange under an exchange agreement you are exempt from registration fees at Unifr.
- Existence of an agreement
Applications and deadlines
Once the International Relations Office has received the official nomination from your home university, a link is sent to your personal email address (NB.: Check your junk /spam folder regularly for legitimate emails). We invite you to follow this link to submit your application online.
- For the autumn semester: 31 March
- For the spring semester: 30 September
You must submit the following documents (in Word or PDF format) with your application:
- Signed application form (summing up the online application)
- Checklist, duly signed
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
- Copy of your valid passport or identity card
- Study contract - your projected study plan
- List of courses currently taken
- List of credits obtained (transcript of records)
- Language passport or proof of language proficiency (language test result if possible)
Your application will be checked and confirmed by the International Relations Office or, in the case of the Faculty of Law, by the Erasmus and International Relations Office of that faculty. After analysis of your application, a registration certificate will be sent to you. This document is required to apply for your visa.
For further information, please read carefully the chapter "Preparing your stay".
- Prepare your stay
- Your studies in Fribourg
End of placement
When your placement is drawing to a close, we would hope that you will have made the most of it and found it an unforgettable experience. Before you leave, do not forget the following.
At the University of Fribourg:
- Mobility students must send their record of studies (carnet d'études) by email to the International Relations Office to obtain their transcript of records.
- Students on the Swiss Mobility programme are not required to keep a record of their studies. They should enquire at the Dean's Office of their faculty to have a certificate of grades drawn up.
- You must fill in the "final report" form sent by the International Relations Office. Use this opportunity to let us know how we can make things even better for future exchange students.
Your rental guarantee (deposit) may not be refunded in full in the case of damage or insufficient cleaning. Please clean your room and the communal areas regularly and make sure they are clean when you hand in your keys.
Close the bank or postal account you opened on arrival.
Share your experience
Share on Share on
Feel free to let others know about your mobility exchange, whether during your stay abroad or on your return, through a blog, on social media, when meeting other students, etc. Your international experience is rich from the academic, personal and social point of view. Give others the benefit of it! Don't forget to tag @unifr_international in your photos! Use hashtag #unifrinternational.