Scholarship for a Master of China Studies Program at Zhejiang University
Thanks to a partnership between the University of Fribourg (Unifr) and the Zhejiang University (ZJU) in Haining, you have the opportunity to study one academic year in this prestigious Chinese university and participate in the Master of China Studies Program.
Student will be registered for two-year master program at ZJU, where the first year is supposed to be spent on campus (Haining, Zhejiang), second year student can return to home university and carry on writing thesis.
The program is built on two interdisciplinary Tracks:
- Chinese Business Studies (CBS)
- Chinese Cultural and Society (CCS).
Both of which ensure that you acquire a broad understanding of contemporary China and issues related to its economy and practice of business. More information is available here - page 3.
The Scholarship includes:
subject to confirmation of financial availability from the Zhejiang University authorities.
- Tuition waiver for the Master of China Studies Program at the Zhejiang University
- Free accommodation on campus
- Monthly stipend
- Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China
Conditions (in addition to the basic conditions for an application for an exchange agreement):
- You must have been enrolled for one semester in a Master's program at the University of Fribourg. A copy of proof of your Bachelor's degree must be sent to the International Relations Office.
- Pay your registration fees and be registered in a Master's program at Unifr during the year in China. A copy must be sent to the International Relations Office.
Have a proven level of English: B2-C1with a certificate (TOEFL 90 or higher or IELTS 6.5 or higher).
- Demonstrate an interest in China.
- The following qualities are highly recommended: flexibility, adaptability and ability to deal with unforeseen circumstances.
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health. Individual special cases will be reviewed separately.
No Chinese language proficiency is required for the program at the moment.
Students holding a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an English-instructed institution are waived from taking the IELTS or TOEFL
Diploma and credit recognition at the end of the Program:
- Receive the Master Degree of China Studies according to the conditions imposed by the Zhejiang University.
- Recognition of credits obtained for your Master's degree in Fribourg: please inquire with your faculty.
Application and deadlines:
Your application will take place in several stages:
1. Submit your application online to Unifr until: March 14 for the following academic year. The online application on your MyUnifr portal for the selection at the University of Fribourg.
2. Study of your application and selection of your application by the IRO.
3. After the IRO has transmitted your selection, you will receive the instructions by email on how to submit your application to the ZJU.
4. Submit your application online to Zhejiang University until: March 31 for the following academic year.
Limited number of places. If you have been selected, you must validate this choice.
The final selection of successful candidates is the responsibility of the host university.
Given the complicated situation, ZJU has prepared a hybrid mode for Autumn 2021: On-site teaching will be available for students who can travel to China and be on campus by the end August 2021; online teaching will be available for those who cannot travel. As students will have to be registered for two years at ZJU, those who opt for the online study in 2021 are welcomed to go to China in 2022, to make up the missing internship.