Frequently asked questions about studies

You are a student at the Faculty of Science and Medicine and have questions about your studies? Below you will find useful information.

General information, rules concerning studies

Courses and exams

  • Where do I register for courses?

    Registration for courses is strongly recommended and is done on the MyUniFR student portal. Registration deadlines can be found here.

    If you have courses in other faculties, other deadlines apply.

  • I missed the registration deadline for courses, what can I do?

    You have the possibility to register late (deadlines). In addition, you can generally follow the courses without registering (Exception: year 2020, due to COVID). Only registration for the exams is mandatory.

    However, registration for exercises, practical work, seminars and excursions is mandatory. This registration guarantees you a spot and allows you to prove that you have attended them.

  • Where do I register for the exams?

    Registration for the exams is mandatory and is done on the MyUniFR student portal. The registration deadlines and the dates of the examination sessions can be found here. Please note: registration is not automatic if you were registered for the course. 


  • I missed the exam registration, what can I do?

    Once the registration deadline has passed, there are no late registrations. You will have to take the exam in another session.

  • How do I withdraw from an exam?

    The procedures for withdrawing from the exams are described here. Please observe the deadlines.

  • I failed an exam, what happens now?
    Bachelor or Master of Science
    An assessment which is not passed or with a grade below 4 may be repeated once (Regulations for the Bachelor and Master of Science degrees, Art 19).
    • For UEs evaluated by a grade
         If on the first attempt the score is < 4, you can register for a new attempt.
         If you make a second attempt, the better of the two grades will count.
         An insufficient grade can be compensated within the validation package (weighted average).
    • For UEs evaluated by pass/fail (practical work,...)
         If you fail on the first attempt, you can repeat the teaching unit or the assessment (depending on the assessment format).
         If you fail a second time on a "pass/fail" UE, the failure results in a definitive failure in the study programme.

    If a teaching unit has been assessed, it is taken into account in the validation procedure of the package. It cannot be removed or replaced (Regulation, Art 23).


    Bachelor and Master of Medicine

    For the BMed, all the exams for the teaching units in the same validation package must be taken in one and the same session. If the average of the validation package is < 4, the assessment of the whole package may be repeated twice.

    For MMed, packages are evaluated by summative assessments. Evaluations take place once a year and can be repeated twice.

  • I can't see my exam results on MyUniFR; what's going on?

    To access your results, you must have signed and submitted the Declaration on Scientific Integrity. More information on how to download and submit it here. Your results will be accessible a few days after you submit the declaration.

  • Is it possible to change a course I chose and remove the corresponding grade from my validation package?

    Once a result has been attributed to a teaching unit, and if it is not mandatory in another validation package, that teaching unit and its result cannot be removed or moved.

Minors and optional studies

  • When do I have to register for a minor?

    The procedure and deadlines for enrolment in the minors are described here. The deadlines depend on your major.

    If you wish to change to a different minor, information can also be found here.

    There are no minors included for Master's programmes. If you want to add an additional programme to the Master, you must register it as an "optional study".

  • When and why can I register "optional studies" in my MyUniFR portal?

    Optional studies are used to add additional study subjects to programmes that are already complete (in addition to the 180 ECTS of the Bachelor's degree or the 90/120 ECTS of the Master's degree). Optional studies are limited to a maximum of 90 ECTS in total.
    The "optional studies" section of MyUniFR must not be used to enrol in a minor that is part of the 180 ECTS of a Bachelor's degree.

  • Can I take a minor at another university?

    If the minor you wish to follow is also offered by the University of Fribourg, you cannot follow it at another university.
    If you wish to follow a minor which is not offered by the University of Fribourg, you must obtain prior permission from the Faculty and the other university to ensure that this minor will be recognised.

  • How do I obtain enough credits to have a second teachable subject at the secondary level II?

    If you wish to teach at the secondary level II (gymnasium, high school, etc.), you generally have to choose two subjects to study during your Bachelor's and Master's degree. After the Master's degree, you will do the Diploma of Teaching in Maturity School (DEEM). For each of the subjects you wish to teach, you must obtain a minimum of 90 ECTS credits. Here is how to obtain these 90 credits:

    • Bachelor with a major for 120 credits.
      • During the Bachelor, you choose a 60-ECTS minor in a teachable subject. Ensure that you register for the correct minor for the DEEM if several options exist in the subject.
      • During the Master, you follow a major in the same subject as your Bachelor's major. In addition, you enrol in "optional studies" in a minor called "+ 30 ECTS". The curricula for these "+30 minors" can be found here. You can only enrol in this +30 minor once you have validated the minor of the Bachelor's degree.


    • Bachelor with a major for 150 credits
      • During the Bachelor, you choose a 30-ECTS minor in a teachable subject. In addition, you register a "Complement to the DEEM" under "optional studies " to follow the 30 missing ECTS in the second subject. In total, the courses you take must correspond to the 60-ECTS minor for the DEEM.
        • During the Master, you follow a major in the same subject as your Bachelor's major. In addition, you enrol in "optional studies" in a minor called "+ 30 ECTS". The curricula for these "+30 minors" can be found here. You can only enrol in this +30 minor once you have validated the minor of the Bachelor's degree and the complement for the DEEM.

Master and Doctorate

Transcripts and Diplomas

  • Where can I get proof that I am a student?

    A document confirming your registration as a student can be downloaded from the MyUniFR portal.

  • I need a transcript of ECTS credits

    The different types of transcripts and the procedures for obtaining them are described here.

  • I need a certification of study advancement in order to renew my permit or visa

    Send an email to requesting this certification. Indicate your name and student number, and specify that this is for an application to renew a permit/visa. The dean's office will generate an attestation for you that meets the SPOMI requirements and send it to you by email.

  • I have finished my studies, when can I exmatriculate?

    You can exmatriculate as soon as you have registered for your last exam. Exmatriculation is done through the student portal.

  • I no longer have access to my MyUniFR account. Where can I obtain a transcript?

    For a proof of exmatriculation, please contact the Admissions and Registration Service.

    For a transcript or an attestation of ECTS credits, contact the attestation office (

  • When will I receive my diploma?

    Once you have obtained your Bachelor's or Master's degree, you will be invited to the next graduation ceremony. The dates of the ceremonies and the deadline for payment of your credits are indicated here. If you are unable to attend the ceremony, your diploma can be collected from the Dean's Office or sent to you by mail after the date of the ceremony.

    While waiting to receive your diploma, the Final Certificate is an official document which will be recognised in most Universities.

    If for any particular reason you need to obtain your diploma before the date of the ceremony (for example, moving to a country where postal delivery would not be secure), please send an email explaining the reasons for your request to This request will then be examined by the Dean.

  • What information will appear on my diploma?

    The diploma itself mentions your surname, first name and date of birth, as well as the title conferred (major), the University and the date. Minors and optional studies are not indicated on the diploma itself.

    A document called "Diploma Supplement" is issued with the diploma and contains more detailed information. It must be kept at all times.

    The diplomas of the Faculty of Science and Medicine do not contain any award or ranking.

  • What is the grading scale applied by the Faculty on the transcripts?

    The Faculty applies the grade scale from 1 to 6, with half-points (1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5). 1 is the worst grade and 6 the best grade. A score of 4 is a "pass".