Work and child(ren) 

How to successfully balance career and family? Who can answer my questions?

The University of Fribourg is committed to reconciling the demands of working life and family commitments – whether you work in administration, in research or in a technical sector.

This page provides you with a wide range of information. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Office for Gender Equality for personal advice or the Human Resources Service for any administrative issue.

Students with dependent child(ren) can find information here.

Please find below our brochure in French and German for (future) parents and for superiors:

Informationen für Studierende und Angestellte mit Kind(ern) an der Universität Freiburg. Ein Wegweiser für Eltern und VorgesetzteInformations pour étudiant·e·s et employé·e·s avec enfants(s) à l’Université de Fribourg – Guide pour parents et supérieur·e·s

  • Pregnancy
    • First announce it to the Human Resources Service where you will receive all needed forms and mementos. You can also access them online on myunifr.
    • Then inform your management, with whom you will discuss your future activity rate if necessary.
    For your information

    We recommend an early discussion of a (temporary) activity rate reduction because the corresponding request must be addressed by management before the maternity leave to the Human Resources Service.

  • Maternity and paternity leave
    • They are entitled to 16 weeks of paid leave. However, for temporary contracts or if the collaborator is in her first year of service, other rules apply. Please refer to the regulations and guideslines for public employees (in French and German only).
    • They have the possibility to extend their maternity leave, provided that the superior authorises it. This extension can be taken from vacation days or by requesting unpaid leave. 
    • The child’s birth is to be announced to the Human Resources Service (form on myunifr).
    For your information

    The Canton of Fribourg provides mothers without a remunerated activity or with a low income an additional allowance of maternity (also in case of adoption).

    Merkblatt kantonale Mutterschaftsbeiträge

    Allocation de maternité cantonale

    • They are entitled to 10 days of paid leave after the child’s birth. The leave can be taken as one continuous period or a fractioned one, and must be taken at the latest during the year following the birth. You need to send a copy of the birth certificate to the Human Resources Service (myunifr) and inform your management.
    • Fathers can extend the paternity leave with vacation days or with an unpaid leave. This requires management’s consent.
  • Unpaid leave

    The law on public employees grants an unpaid leave not exceeding 2 years (on request) for diverse reasons including family commitments. If you wish to resort to such a leave you need to:

    • obtain your management’s consent – do it early enough!
    • submit a request on myUniFR

    The request is transmitted to your direct superior, who will hand it to the competent authority for validation.

  • Replacement during maternity leave
    • Management can ask for a replacement during your leave. This requires a written request, addressed to the Human Resources Service.
    • Lecturer’s/Professor's replacements can include other tasks in addition to teaching, based on the specification sheet. This requires a duly reasoned request.

    In principle, requests are granted if a replacement is necessary to guarantee University’s operations or to continue a project.

  • Breastfeeding during working hours

    Breastfeeding mothers are given the time they need to breastfeed or pump their milk. During the first year of the child's life, the time taken to breastfeed or pump milk is counted as paid working time within the following limits:

    • For a working day up to 4 hours: 30 minutes/day
    • For a working day between 4 and 7 hours: 60 minutes/day
    • For a working day of more than 7 hours: 90 minutes/day

    The University has two breastfeeding rooms (Miséricorde MIS01 1022 and Pérolles21 CO21). They are accessible on request.  Please contact the Service Equipement et logistique beforehand for a key.

  • Financial support
    Unique birth and adoption allowance

    Multiple cantons pay a birth allowance on request which vary from CHF 850.- to CHF 2’000.-. The corresponding request forms can be obtained from the Compensation fund of your tax residence.

    Monthly family allowances

    All cantons pay at least CHF 200.- of family allowances per child and month. Contact the Human Resources Service for the necessary forms.  The request is then transmitted to the Compensation fund. After the agreement, family allowances are paid monthly with your salary. Should you have any questions, please refer to the Human Resources Service.

    Monthly employer allowance 

    Furthermore, all public employees receive on request an employer allowance. This allowance is CHF 150.-/month for each of the first two children and CHF 75.- for each of the following.

  • Day-care
    University’s nursery

    The nursery allows children of 4 months up to kindergarten age whose parents study or work at the University of Fribourg. The nursery must be attended at least 3 half days a week and has 50 places per day.


    Information about other day-care possibilities and subsidized offers can be obtained from your municipal administration, the Fribourg federation of nurseries or the Fribourg federation of day fostering. Finally, the Swiss federation for day-care offers an overview of various day-care options in different cantons.


  • In case of emergency

    Most of Swiss Red Cross branches offer home-based day-care services in case of emergency. The price varies depending on parent’s income. Red Cross also helps if you’re ill or had an accident and you’re unable to take care of your children.

    For your information

    All employees of the University of Fribourg can, in case of illness or accident of their child, resort to the free service of the Red Riding Hood emergency care of the Fribourg Red Cross. This service is available free of charge from Monday to Friday and for a maximum of 21 hours of on-call duty. For employees living outside the canton of Fribourg, the cantonal associations of the Swiss Red Cross concerned are responsible for providing the same service under the same conditions (see guide for parents).


    Guide pour les parents

Breastfeeding rooms and changing table

The first-aid rooms can be used as breastfeeding rooms. Please contact the Service Equipment et logistique in advance for a key.