The University of Fribourg's Research Pool is aimed at stimulating research at the University of Fribourg by supporting projects that cannot be financed by third-party funding. It thus acts as a complementary instrument to such external programs as those of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).
The University of Fribourg's Research Promotion Commission evaluates the projects based on how well they fit within the below categories, as well as on their scientific quality. If necessary, external expert opinion can be sought. The Commission then makes a recommendation on this basis and the Rectorate takes the final decision.
The funds can be granted for the following purposes:
To grant Matching Funds to obtain third-party funding that is only awarded on condition that a financial participation by the University of Fribourg be obtained;
To provide contributions to the preparation of substantial research projects (until third-party submission); it must be demonstrated that the planned preparation contributes significantly to the project's being accepted;
To offer relief grants for researchers who have been awarded a research project (SNSF or other) as lead applicants;
To encourage the creation or the expansion of new research clusters whose purview falls within pre-existing research domains at the University of Fribourg;
To provide funding for projects that complement an SNSF project;
- To promote early-career post-doctoral researchers.
Between CHF 7,000 to CHF 70,000 (except for "Matching Funds": max. CHF 50,000).
Terms and conditions
The Research Pool funds can only be granted for projects that are carried out at the University of Fribourg and/or by persons employed at the University of Fribourg (Professors; Teaching and Research Assistants; Lecturers) and whose publications, if any, appear under the name of the University of Fribourg.
The following requirements and restrictions apply:
- No contribution is made towards the applicant's salary.
- Funding is not retroactive (unless it can be proven that the application was not possible before).
- In the case of financing from various sources, all funding bodies must be declared. However, an application for Matching Funds can only be submitted to one office at the University of Fribourg (Rectorate, Faculty or Research Pool).
- No financial support is given to projects that have previously been rejected by another funding entity.
- Approved funds cannot be transferred to another university. Transfer to another researcher at the University of Fribourg requires the explicit approval of the Commission.
- Any planned change to the approved project as it was originally submitted must be announced by e-mail, accompanied with an explanation for the planned modifications, and is dependent upon the approval of the Commission President.
- The publication of research results based on funds from the Research Pool must contain a reference to funding from the University of Fribourg. This also applies if the lead researcher publishes such results after they have left the University of Fribourg.
The Research Pool is ruled by (French and German only):
- The Regulation of 26 October 2020 of the Research Promotion Commission
- The Implementation Guidelines of 21 September 2018 concerning the procedure for the allocation of resources of the Research Pool
Please consult the guidelines before applying.
The official submission deadlines are:
- January 31
- July 31
Please fill in, sign, and submit the application form together with your project (one pdf) to the contact address at the bottom of this page.
Applications are processed by the Research Promotion Commission on its semestrial meetings. Sessions 2022:
- April 1, 2022
- October 14, 2022
The final decision is rendered by e-mail after receiving the decision of the Rectorate, approximately 2 weeks after the Commission meeting.
Research Promotion Commission
The current Commission is composed of the following members:
- Prof. Dr. Katharina Fromm (Math, Natural Science and Medical Faculty) (Vice-Rector)
- Prof. Dr. Veronika Hoffmann (Faculty of Theology)
- Prof. Dr. Helmut Zander (Faculty of Theology)
- Prof. Dr. Martin Huber (Economics and Social Science Faculty)
- Prof. Dr. Olivier Furrer (Economics and Social Science Faculty)
- Prof. Dr. Basile Cardinaux (Faculty of Law)
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Probst (Faculty of Law)
- Prof. Dr. Jürgen Sauer (Faculty of Humanities)
- Prof. Dr. Gianfranco Soldati (Faculty of Humanities)
- Prof. Dr. Guillermo Pedro Acuña (Math, Natural Science and Medical Faculty)
- Prof. Dr. Csaba Szabo (Math, Natural Science and Medical Faculty)
- Representative of Scientific Collaborators - vacant
Consultant: Dr. Katja Wirth (Research Promotion Service)
Tel: 026 300 71 07