Pre-Semester Intensive German course
A tailormade intensive German course that is organized jointly by the Language Centre of the University of Fribourg and the DeLiF language school.
- Every morning from 8.40am to 12.10pm (Monday-Friday): intensive language courses in two groups of up to 15 participants, by level of proficiency.
- In the afternoon:
- in-depth workshops, from 1.15 pm to 2.45 pm or from 3.00pm to 4.30pm (2x per week), in which you can deepen selected skills - including strategy work (vocabulary, reading, writing), use of online tools (DeepL, Textshuttle, ChatGPT), ...
- visists/cultural activities "in German" where you can apply your newly acquired skills in real situations
The course is aimed at all those who would like to improve their German language skills for study and/or work and who have at least a A2 level. The following target audiences can participate:
- Exchange students
- Regular students enrolled at the University of Fribourg, including doctoral students
- Staff members of the University of Fribourg
- Students and staff from one of the Language Center’s partner institutions
- Members of the association Alumni and Friends of UniFR
- External participants
Our aim is to enable participants to quickly improve their language skills in a professional environment, to meet new people and to get to know the university and its surroundings.
Groups are created depending on participants’ existing level of German and normally range from A2 to C1.
Next course dates
The next course will take place from 5 until 16 February 2024 (2 weeks).
Registration takes place online via the self-assesment questionnaire and then via the registration form.
Registrations close on 15 December 2023. However, we warmly recommend registering as early as possible, since the number of participants for our intensive courses is limited and registration can be closed early if the maximum number of participants is reached.
About course fees
We offer progressive pricing that takes into account the financial means of different target audiences. Mobility students registered with the University of Fribourg receive an additional stipend, allowing us to offer them a particularly affordable rate.
Details of the cost of a week of intensive course
The rates are calculated on the following weekly cost:
- Exchange students at the University of Fribourg:
CHF 235.- per week (20 lessons and around 12h of activities)
- Students (UNIFR and other institutions, provided you can show a proof of registration for the semester when the course takes place):
CHF 300.- per week (20 lessons and around 12h of activities)
- Staff of the UNIFR, members of Alumni and Friends UniFR, external participants:
CHF 450.- per week (20 lessons and around 12h of activities)
Validation of the course
The course of the autumn semester (3 weeks) is validated by 6 ECTS credits. The course of the spring semester (duration 2 weeks) is validated by 4 ECTS credits.
Recognition of credits as part of a study plan (e.g. as Softskills credits) depends on faculty regulations. Information on this subject can be obtained from the deaneries concerned. Under no circumstances does the Language Centre guarantee that its ECTS credits will be recognised as part of a specific study plan.
Obtaining the credits and a certificate requires regular attendance and active participation in the various class work and activities.