In the context of digitalization and information systems, visualization plays a major role for communicating and analyzing complex types of information between different stakeholders. In this context, new forms of visualizations such as used in Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality applications also require new forms of interaction. In this research topic we thus not only investigate new types of visualizations for information systems but also emerging interaction paradigms such as device-less interaction where humans communicate with information systems in new ways.
We currently investigate the following sub-areas:
- New forms of visualization for enterprise models
- Device-less interaction with information systems
- Virtual and Augmented Reality applications in enterprise modeling and digitalization
For this purpose we dispose of an enterprise visualization lab including equipment such as HTC Vive Pro headsets, Leap Motion sensors, and the according hard- and software infrastructure.
Virtual and Augmented Reality
Virtual Reality aims for the integration of an individual into the virtual world as seemlessly as possible. For achieving this goal, it is typically reverted to glasses that project stereo images and thus simulate a 3D experience. Due to the advancements made especially in the gaming industry, such technologies are today affordable even by consumers. Augmented Reality extends this approach by integrating artificially created images with real-world images, e.g. through super-imposing them onto surfaces and objects. In this way the viewer is not entirely disconnected from the real world as in the case of Virtual Reality.
With device-less interaction it is referred to a new generation of devices that permit users to interact with computers in more natural ways. Examples include the tracking of extremities, e.g. hands, to detect communication patterns that are used as input for actions. In our understanding this includes also the use of audio input, e.g. through natural language processing, for interacting with systems.
For our research in visualization for digitalization and informations systems we revert to several tools and frameworks. For the implementation of prototypes using the HTC Vive Pro headsets we use Unity together with C#, for the programming of the Leap Motion sensors also JS.
For the visualization of conceptual models we revert to the ADOxx platform and specifically developed libraries and tools.
The following publications are available from our group which take up the topic of visualization and related topics:
- Sandkuhl, Kurt, Fill, Hans-Georg, Hoppenbrouwers, Stijn, Krogstie, John, Leue, Andreas, Matthes, Florian, Opdahl, Andreas, Schwabe, Gerhard, Uludag, Omer, Winter, Robert (2018): From Expert Discipline to Common Practice: A Vision and Research Agenda for Extending the Reach of Enterprise Modelling, Business and Information Systems Engineering, Volume 60, Issue 1, pp 69-80, Springer.
- Fill, Hans-Georg, Pittl, Benedikt, Honegger, Gerald (2017): A Modeling Environment for Visual SWRL Rules based on the SeMFIS Platform, in: Maedche, A. et al.: Designing the Digital Transformation - Proceedings of the 12th International Conference, DESRIST 2017, 452-456.
- Pittl, Benedikt, Fill, Hans-Georg, Honegger, Gerald (2017): Enabling Risk-Aware Enterprise Modeling using Semantic Annotations and Visual Rules, ECIS 2017, European Conference on Information Systems , AIS.
- Fill, Hans-Georg, Grieb, Andreas (2017): Visuelle Modellierung des Rechts: Vorgehensweise und praktische Umsetzung für Rechtsexperten, in: Jusletter IT, 23. Februar 2017, Weblaw.
- Nabizai, Arzo, Fill, Hans-Georg (2017): Eine Modellierungsmethode zur Visualisierung und Analyse von Gesetzestexten, in: Jusletter IT, 23. Februar 2017, Weblaw.
- Fill, Hans-Georg, Haiden, Katharina (2016): Visuelle Modellierung für rechtsberatende Berufe am Beispiel der gesetzlichen Erbfolge (LexisNexis Top 10 Paper - nominated for Best Paper Award), Jusletter IT, 25. Februar 2016, Weblaw.
- Fill, Hans-Georg (2015): Bridging Pictorial and Model-based Creation of Legal Visualizations: The PICTMOD Method, in: Schweighofer, E., Kummer, F. and Hötzendorfer, W.: Kooperation / Co-operation - Digitale Ausgabe zum Tagungsband des 18. Internationalen Rechtsinformatik Symposions IRIS 2015, Jusletter IT 26. Februar 2015, ISSN 1664-848X.
- Fill, Hans-Georg (2014): Transitions between Syntax and Semantics through Visualization, Zeitschrift Jusletter IT, 11. September 2014, ISSN 1664-848X.
- Fill, Hans-Georg (2009): Visualisation for Semantic Information Systems, Gabler/Springer.