Prof. Em. Peter Trudgill
Studied at King's College, Cambridge, and at Edinburgh University, before taking up a position at Reading University, where he was successively Lecturer, Reader and Professor from 1970 to 1986. He then moved to the University of Essex and then, in 1992, to the University of Lausanne. He has been Professor of English Linguistics at Fribourg since 1998. Peter Trudgill is a Fellow of the British Academy, of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, of the Royal Norwegian Academy of Sciences and of the Royal Gustavus Adolphus Acadmey for Swedish Folk Culture; and he has an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Uppsala, Sweden.
- The social differentiation of English in Norwich. London: Cambridge University Press.
- Sociolinguistics: an introduction. London: Penguin Books.
- Accent dialect and the school. London: Edward Arnold.
- Sociolinguistic patterns in British English (editor). London: Edward Arnold.
- English accents and dialects: an introduction to social and regional varieties of British English [with A. Hughes]. London: Edward Arnold.
- International English: a guide to varieties of Standard English [with J. Hannah]. London: Edward Arnold.
- On dialect: social and geographical perspectives Oxford: Blackwell.
- Language in the British Isles (editor). London: Cambridge University Press.
- Applied sociolinguistics (editor). London: Academic Press.
- Dialects in contact. Oxford: Blackwell. The Dialects of England.Oxford: Blackwell.
- Bad language [with L.G. Andersson]. London: Penguin (pbk); and Oxford: Blackwell
- English dialects: studies in grammatical variation [editor with J.K. Chambers]. London: Longman.
- Introducing language and society. London: Penguin.
- Dialects. London: Routledge.
- Communication et pragmatique interculturelles [editor with P. Singy] = Bulletin suisse de linguistique appliquée 65. Neuchatel: VALS/ASLA. pp. 177.
- The sociolinguistics reader: multilingualism and variation [editor with J. Cheshire]. London: Edward Arnold.
- The sociolinguistics reader: gender and discourse [editor with J. Cheshire]. London: Edward Arnold.
- Language myths [editor with L. Bauer]. London: Penguin.
- East Anglian English [editor with J. Fisiak]. Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer.
- Handbook of Linguistic Variation and Change [editor with J.K. Chambers and N. Schilling-Estes]. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Sociolinguistic Variation and Change. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. Alternative histories of English (editor with R. Watts). London: Routledge.