Prof. Dr. Thierry Madiès
University of Fribourg
Department of Political Economy
Bd de Pérolles 90
PER 21, Office G 440
Tel.: +41 26 300 82 20
I am a full professor of Economics and the dean of the Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences at the University of Fribourg. Before moving to Switzerland, I have been an associate professor at the University of Evry-Val-d'Essonne (near Paris) and at Science-Po Paris. My research and expertise mainly deals with international tax competition, tax avoidance, globalization and fiscal decentralization as a means to mitigate ethnic conflicts and prevent claims for secession. I also currently work on the environmental consequences of interjurisdictional competition to attract foreign direct investments. From a methodological perspective, I try to combine a game theoretic approach with applied econometrics and experiments even if I consider myself to be an applied theorist. I have a long experience of public policy advising. I have served for four years on the Council of Economic Advisors to the French Prime Minister. I was also involved in 2012 in the elaboration of the economic program of a candidate to the French Presidential Election. I have also been a scientific advisor to the French Ministry of Economy and Finance (Treasury and Forecasting Directorate), to the French Agency fo Development and I have been a short-term consultant for the Wold Bank for ten years.
- Certification to direct research and supervise PhD dissertations in Economics (Habilitation à diriger des recherches), University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (1999)
- National prize for the best PhD dissertation on subnational governments (1998)
- PhD in Economics obtained with the highest honors, University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (now Paris School of Economics) (1997)
- Agrégation in Economics and Management (1993)
- Graduated from Ecole normale supérieure de Paris-Saclay (French "Grande Ecole") (1993)
- MSc. in Economics, University of Toulouse (now Toulouse School of Economics) (1991)
- BSc. in Economics, University of Toulouse (now Toulouse School of Economics) (1990)
- Dean of the Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences of University of Fribourg (Autumn 2020-)
- Full Professor of Economics at the University of Fribourg, chair of international and regional economics (2003-)
- Short-Term Consultant advising the World Bank with respect to questions concerning decentralization and fiscal policies (2010-)
- Member of the scientific committee of the yearly conference "Journées de Microéconomie Appliquée" (JMA) (2006-)
- Expert for HCERES (Haut Conseil pour l'Evaluation de la Recherche et de l'Enseignement Supérieur), French Ageny for Evaluation of Academic Research and Higher Education (2007-)
- Expert advising the French National Agency for Research (Agence Nationale de la Recherche, ANR) (2007-)
- Dean of the faculty of Economics and Management of the Swiss Distance Learning University (2013-2020)
- Vice-dean of the Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences of the University of Fribourg (2018-2019)
- Member of the executive committee of the Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (2015-2019)
- Scientific advisor, department of research and strategy of the French Agency for Development (Agence Française de Développement) (2008-2011)
- Member of the Council of Economic Analysis advising the French Prime Minister (2006-2010)
- Chairman of the Department of Economics at the University of Fribourg (2007-2009)
- Member of the Scientific Coucil of the doctoral program in Advanced Economics and Econometrics of the Universities of Western Switzerland (2005-2007)
- Lecturer at Sciences-Po Paris (1995-2012)
- Associate professor at the University of Evry-val-d'Essonne (1998-2003)
- Lecturer at the Ecole Normale Supérieure Paris (1999-2001)
- Lecturer at the University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (1999-2003)
- Lecturer and associate professor at the ENS de Paris-Saclay (2001-2012)
Research stays and teaching abroad
- Invited researcher at the Department of Social Sciences of the ENS Paris-Saclay (March 2020)
- Invited researcher at the department of Government at the London School of Economics (LSE) (January 2019)
- Invited professor at the University of Rome 1 - Sapienza (funded by the University of Rome 1) (January-February 20018 and several research stays since)
- Invited researcher at the department of political sciences of the University of Copenhagen (January/ February 2017)
- Invited researcher at Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) (February 2016)
- Invited professor at the Graduate School of Economics at the University of Tokyo - Todai - (competitive process and research stay funded by the University of Tokyo) (summer 2015)
- Invited researcher at the Institute of Quantitative Social Science (IQSS) at the Harvard University (funded by the Swiss National Foundation) and the International Monetary Fund (Departement of Fiscal Affairs) (spring semester 2015)
- Invited professor at the University of Rennes 1 (CREM - CNRS; several residencies)
- Adjunct Professor at the School of Public Affairs at the American University and visiting researcher at the research department of the World Bank (spring semester 2010)
- Guest Professor at the University of Montreal (March 2010)
Consulting activities and expert reports for...
- Council of Economic Analysis advising the French Prime Minister
- Presidency of the French National Assembly
- French Ministry of the Economy and Finance (Economic Forcasting and Treasury department)
- French Ministry of Housing
- Observatoire Français des Conjunctures Economiques (Research Departement)
- French Ministry of Defence
- French Development Agency (Agence Française de Développement), department of Research and Strategy
- World Bank
- French National Research Agency (ANR)
- French Evaluation Agency for Academic Research and Higher Education
- Canadian Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
Recent publications (selection)
- Madiès, T. (2021). "La concurrence fiscale: un point de vue d'économiste," forthcoming in Revue européenne et internationale de droit fiscal.
- Madiès, T. (2020). La concurrence fiscale internationale, Repères Économie, Paris: La Découverte.
- Taugourdeau, E. & T. Madiès (2020). "Vertical Transfers and Tax Competition: Does Trade Integration Matter?,” forthcoming in Social Choice and Welfare. (CNRS 1)
- Madiès, T. & F. Rey (2021). "Addressing the concerns about carbon leakage in the implementation of carbon pricing policies: A focus on the issue of competitiveness," Journal of Industrial and Business Economics.
- Exbrayat, N., Madiès, T. & S. Riou (2019). "A simple model of corporate bailouts in a globalized economy," The Scandinavian Journal of Economics, doi: 10.1111/sjoe.12397. (CNRS 2)
- Bjedov, T., Lapointe, S., Madiès, T. & M.C. Villeval (2018). "Does decentralization of decisions increase the stability of large groups?," Social Choice and Welfare, 51(4), pp. 681-716. (CNRS 1)
- Madiès, T., Rota-Grazziosi, G. , Tranchant, J.-P. & C. Trépier (2018). "The economics of secession: A review of legal, theoretical and empirical aspects," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics, 154(19), doi: 10.1186/s41937-017-0015-6.
- Bjedov, T., Madiès, T. & M.C. Villeval (2016). "Communication and Coordination in a Two-Stage Game," Economic Inquiry, 54, pp. 1519-1540. (CNRS 2)
- Lemoine, M., Madiès, P. & T. Madiès (2016). Les grandes questions d'économie et finance internationales, 3rd edition, Bruxelles: De Boeck.
- Bjedov, T., Lapointe, S. & T. Madiès (2014). "The impact of within-party and between party ideological dispersion on fiscal outcomes: Evidence from Swiss cantonal parliaments," Public Choice, 161(1-2), pp. 209-232. (CNRS 1)
- Encaoua, D. & T. Madiès (2014). "Dysfunctions of the Patent System and their Effects on Competition," in Guellec, D., Madiès, T. & J.C. Prager (Eds.), Patent Markets in the Knowledge Economy: Theory, Empirics and Public Policy Implications, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, doi: 10.1017/CBO9781107110960.
- Dafflon, B. & T. Madiès (2013). "Local Public Finance of Territorial Collectivities in Burkina Faso," in Dafflon, B. & T. Madiès (Eds.), The Political Economy of Decentralization in Sub-Saharan Africa, African Development Forum Series, World Bank.
- Gilbert, G. & Madiès, T. (2013). "Concurrence des territoires et mécanismes de péréquation: Stratégies dommagables et voies de réforme", in Laurent, E. (Ed), Vers l'égalité des territoires - Dynamiques, mesures, politiques, report for the Ministry of Housing.
- Madiès, T., Villeval, M.C. & M. Wasmer (2013). "Intergenerational Attitudes Towards Strategic Uncertainty and Competition: A Field Experiment in a Swiss Bank," European Economic Review, 61, pp. 153-168. (CNRS 1)
- Dethier, J. & T. Madiès (2012). "Fiscal competition in developing countries: A survey of the theoretical and empirical literature", Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy, 3(21), pp.1-31. (selected by the World Bank for the Research Digest of the World Bank, 4(4), Summer 2010)
- Dafflon, B. & T. Madiès (2011). L'économie politique de la décentralisation dans quatre pays d'Afrique sub-saharienne: Burkina Faso, Sénégal, Ghana et Kenya. Paris: Agence Française de Développement.
- Breuillé, M.L, Madiès, T. & E. Taugourdeau (2010). "Gross versus net equalization scheme in a federation with decentralized leadership," Journal of Urban Economics, 68 (205-214). (CNRS 1)
- Guellec, D., Madiès, T. & J.-C. Prager (2010). "Les marchés de brevets dans l'économie de la connaissance," report n°94 for the Council of Economics Analysis to the French Prime Minister. Paris: La documentation française.
- Exbrayat, N., Madiès, T. & S. Riou (2009). "International tax competition: Do public good spillovers matter?," International Tax and Public Finance, 7(690-715). (CNRS 2)
- Creel, J., Gilbert, G. & T. Madiès (2008). "Has France become a deficit running country?," in Ferreiro J., Fontana G. & F. Serrano (Eds.), Politique fiscale dans l'UE, Basingstocke: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Dafflon, B. & T. Madiès (2008). Décentralisation: quelques principes issus de la théorie du fédéralisme financier, Agence Française de Développement, Notes et Documents, n° 42.
- Foucault, M., Madiès, T. & S. Paty (2008). "Public spending interactions and local politics: Empirical evidence from French municipalities," Public Choice, 137(57-80). (CNRS 1)
- Madiès, T. (2008). "Do vertical externalities lead to tax rates being too high? A note," The Annals of Regional Science, 42(1), pp. 225-233. (CNRS 2)
- Madiès, T. & J.-C. Prager (2007). "Innovation et compétitivité des régions," report n° 77 for Le Conseil d'Analyse Economique du Premier ministre, Paris: La documentation française.
Field of research
- Applied game theory
- Public Finance
- International taxation
- Fiscal decentralization