The Doctorate is the third academic grade awarded by the University, after the Bachelor and the Master. There are three different titles possible at the Faculty of Science : Doctor of Mathematics (Doctor scientiarum mathematicarum), Doctor of Computer Science (Doctor scientiarum informaticarum) or Doctor of Science (Doctor rerum naturalium).
This academic grade testifies that the holder has shown all the capacities to carry out high quality scientific research, based on an original personal work (thesis), an oral examination (thesis defence) and a public presentation.
The month of August does not constitute part of the deadline required for the defence of theses. If, however, you wish to defend your thesis in the month of August all the documents must be submitted to the Dean's office before the end of June.
Study to obtain the grade of Doctor
1. The first obligatory requirement to begin doctoral studies is to obtain the agreement of a thesis supervisor within the professors of the Faculty of Science.
The Dean's Office and the Office for Admissions and Registration SHALL NOT consider the application unless this condition has been fulfilled.
The regulation which governs doctoral studies at the Faculty of Science is the Regulation for the award of the doctorate at the Faculty of Science of the University of Fribourg.
for french and german : click here
The announcement of the thesis supervisor has to be made with the Application form for doctoral studies (Annex I).
If the thesis supervisor is not a Faculty member* at the Faculty of Science, please consult the Directives governing the supervision of a doctoral thesis by a person who is neither a full nor an associate professor (Annex I bis)
* Only full and associate professors of the Faculty of Science are Faculty members.
2. The second obligatory requirement (this step does not concern the candidates who are still registered at the University of Fribourg)is to apply for admission to the University of Fribourg. In order to do so, please follow the information given by the Office for Admissions and Registration to the other faculties under : Admission.
For candidates from foreign countries, please use the appropriate Application form.
3. For students who are approaching the end of their doctoral studies instructions are given in Annex II: Directives for the preparation and lodging of the thesis.
You will also find a standard model of the first two pages here: Model.
4. When asking for expertises, please use this form to send to your experts.