National Center of Competence in Research (NCCR) at Unifr
The Swiss National Science Foundation launched the National Centers for Competence in Research (NCCRs) to fund research areas of strategic importance for Swiss science. Each NCCR is based in one Swiss institution and includes other institutions creating a hub of excellence in a specific domain.
The University of Fribourg hosts the NCCR for Bio-Inspired Materials, since 2014.
This interdisciplinary center is an internationally recognized hub for cutting-edge research, innovation, and education in the domain of “smart” materials whose function and design are inspired by nature.
This NCCR includes 12 groups from the University of Fribourg (from departments of Chemistry, Physics, Medicine and the Adolphe Merkle Institute - AMI).
Other NCCR at unifr
Also, researchers at the University of Fribourg participate in the following NCCRs:
- NCCR Affective Sciences - Emotions in Individual Behavior and Social Processes
- NCCR Kidney.CH - Kidney Control of Homeostasis
- NCCR Mediality - Historical Perspectives
- NCCR Chemical Biology - Visualization and Control of Biological Processes Using Chemistry
- NCCR LIVES - Overcoming vulnerability: life course perspectives
- NCCR MARVEL - Materials' Revolution: Computational Design and Discovery of Novel Materials
- NCCR MUST - Molecular Ultrafast Science and Technology
- NCCR On the Move - The Migration-Mobility Nexus