Integrated systems for 4D Monitoring of Mountain Mass Movements using satellite navigation and radar interferometry (4D4M)
The study addresses the need for a new system of interactive cartography of mountain mass movement monitoring using satellite navigation and radar interferometry. The project aims to combine DInSAR and GNSS data coming from the upcoming Sentinels-1 and Galileo missions. In the back-end of our proposed system GNSS and DInSAR will provide displacement information in near-real time from space data. The front-end of the proposed system will encompass a served-based platform to store the data and a mapping server for an interactive displaying tool for 4D monitoring of selected mass movements. This would allow users (geoscientists, private companies or public administrations) to be able to observe in near realtime the deformation of surveyed landforms at different spatial and temporal scales.
Collaborators: Chloé Barboux, Reynald Delaloye
Duration: 2019 - 2020
Study area: Valais (Western Swiss Alps)
The periglacial belt is affected by different kinds of mass movements as illustrated by the orographic right side of the Arolla valley. Photo S. Morard 10/2005
TerraSAR-X interferogram 01.10.2012 – 12.10.2012 of the periglacial belt affected by different kinds of mass movements on the orographic right side of the Arolla valley (TerraSAR-X data courtesy LAN 0242, © DLR).
Displacement from PSI using Envisat data 2004-2010 in the satellite line-of-sight direction (courtesy ESA TERRAFIRMA Project ) and from repeated differential GNSS campaigns (horizontal motion and direction) from 2010 to 2014 for Perroc landslide-sagging and from 2014 to 2015 for Tsarmine rock glacier
Schematic diagram of the proposed integrated system
University of Lausanne, Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics (C. Lambiel)
Service des forêts, des cours d'eau et du paysage du Canton du Valais
Gamma Remote Sensing AG
- Barboux, C., Delaloye, R. and Lambiel, C., 2014. Inventorying slope movements in an Alpine environment using DInSAR. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 39(15): 2087–2099.
- Barboux, C., Strozzi, T., Delaloye, R., Wegmüller, U. and Collet, C., 2015. Mapping slope movements in Alpine environments using TerraSAR-X interferometric methods, Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 109, 178-192, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2015.09.010.T
- Strozzi, T., Kääb, A., & Frauenfelder, R., 2004. Detecting and quantifying mountain permafrost creep from in situ inventory, space-borne radar interferometry and airborne digital photogrammetry. Int. J. Remote Sensing, 25(15): 2919-2931.
- Strozzi, T., Delaloye, R., Kääb, A., Ambrosi, C., Perruchoud, E., & Wegmüller, U., 2010. Combined observations of rock mass movements using satellite SAR interferometry, differential GPS, airborne digital photogrammetry, and airborne photography interpretation. Journal of Geophysical Research, 115, F01014.
- Strozzi, T., Delaloye, R., Poffet, D., Hansmann, J., & Loew S., 2011. Surface subsidence and uplift above a headrace tunnel in metamorphic basement rocks of the Swiss Alps as detected by satellite SAR interferometry. Remote Sensing of Environment, 115(6), 1353-1360.
- Strozzi, T., Ambrosi, C., & Raetzo, H., 2013. Interpretation of aerial photographs and satellite SAR interferometry for the inventory of landslides. Remote Sensing, 5(5): 2554-2570.
- Strozzi, T., Caduff, R., Wegmüller, U., Brandstaetter, M. and Kühtreiber, N., 2014. MATIST: Monitoring Alpine Transportation Infrastructures using Space Techniques, Final Report April 2014, ESA ARTES 20 FEASIBILITY STUDY, https://artes-apps.esa.int/projects/MATIST.
- Strozzi, T., Delaloye, R. and Raetzo, H., Recent Evolution of the Moosfluh Landslide (Canton Valais) from Satellite Radar Interferometry and Differential GNSS, to be submitted to “Swiss Bulletin for Applied Geology.
- Wegmüller, U., Werner, C., Strozzi, T., & Wiesmann, A., 2003. Multi-temporal interferometric point target analysis, Proceedings of Multi-Temp 2003 conference, Ispra, Italy.
- Wegmüller, U., Werner, C., Strozzi T., Wiesmann, A., Frey, O. and Santoro M., 2015. Sentinel-1 Support in the GAMMA Software, Proceedings of FRINGE 2015 Workshop, Frascati, Italy, 23-27 March 2015.