Website you should have a look at

If you are intending to study at the University of Fribourg there are a number informative websites to help you in this endeavour. The following document is a list of websites where you will be able to find (almost) all the necessary information you will require to plan, realise and successfully accomplish your study at the UNIFR as well as your life at the campus and in the city.

Portal “studies.unifr”

The studies portal collects all information around studies at the university, including course offerings, administrative and organisational matters around your studies, and information about life in Fribourg.

 Detailed information is available on: 

- Course offerings (at all levels)
- Admission rules
- Registration procedure
- Advise on how to develop your language skills
- Offers and procedures for mobility programmes
- Rules and regulations
- Academic calendar and timetable of all the courses at UNIFR
- Living costs in Fribourg
- How to find an accommodation in Fribourg
- Sport offers at the university and beyond
- Social and cultural activities linked to the university
- Location and offer of libraries
- Care for children
- and much more…

Office for Admissions and Registration

On the website of the Office for Admissions and Registration, you will find answer to all your questions regarding administrative issues. The website is organised in two sections, one for prospective students (you should consult this part while planning your study in Fribourg) and one for current students. There is also a very helpful FAQ page. Through the portal, you can also contact this office directly or find out its location and opening hours.

Information for prospective students (including guest students) includes:

- Deadline for application
- Admission requirements
- Registration procedure

Information for current students includes:

- Attestation of registration
- Breaks in studies
- Changes in degree or study programmes
- Definitive failure
- Ex-matriculation
- Tuition fees and fee reduction possibilities.


International Relations Office

If you are coming from abroad (or from another Swiss region) to study in Fribourg, you should definitely get acquainted with the International Relations Office and its website. This office also handles all questions of outgoing mobility, i.e. when a student of the UNIFR would like to temporarily study at another university, in Switzerland or abroad. Check out the website, or contact the Office, for all your questions related to incoming or outgoing mobility.

If you are planning your study in Fribourg, you will find information about:

- Offers of programmes to study in Fribourg as an exchange student or with a scholarship
- Practical information to organise your stay before arrival (finding housing, finances, insurances, visa,…)
- Helpful information on how to handle issues during your stay (legal formalities, transportation, health care, student services,…)
- Procedures you need to know for the end of your stay.

If you are planning your study at another university, you will find information about (only in German and French):

- a practical guide on the steps needed to organise, plan and realise your mobility experience
- a detailed list of all mobility programmes available for students at the UNIFR, with all information on requirements, procedures and deadlines
- Practical information on study contract, scholarships, health insurance, visa and other formalities
- detailed information for the organisation of an internship in the framework of your study at UNIFR
- Important documents for download.


If you have not found the information you are looking for in the specific websites or portals, we suggest you to have a look at the website of Uni-Info or to visit the team in one of their desks in the campus.The website of Uni-Info collects practical information you may need while studying and living in Fribourg. You will also find a lot of information directly on the website (from how to register and confirm your registration to how to print documents at the university), otherwise you will be redirected to other pertinent websites.

You can exploring this website via the main menu, which is divided in the subject areas Administration, Support, Counselling, Leisure and Living in Fribourg; or you can look for a specific topic in the alphabetically ordered index page.


“Help” is the website of the Service for Social Counselling and Study Subsidies. On this website you will find useful information and advice on different kinds of difficulties you might encounter, both related to your studies and personal ones.

The website collects useful contacts of offices and other services that can support you for instance by psychological difficulties, financial problems, harassment, study failure, etc.


“GestEns” (Gestion de l’Enseignement) is THE portal you have to know as a student at the UNIFR. It hosts the directory of all courses offered at the university with all the necessary details. Please check on gestens when and where a course will take place, how many ECTS you will receive for a course, etcetera. On gestens you can also check the content of validation packages and see which courses are necessary to obtain a diploma in your discipline.
Unfortunately, gestens is still only in French and German. You can find the same detailed information about course offered (but not about validation packages and discipline curricula) in English here:

Studying and Course Offer

For any kind of question related to course offerings and organisation, please refer to the studies portal of the University:

For specific information about a Bachelor or Master study in Geography please refer to the website of the geography unit:

How are studies (and credits) organised? What is a Bachelor/a Master?

Check the studies portal:


What disciplines can I study at the Unifr? How is the study plan organised within a specific discipline?

Check the general course offerings on the studies portal:
Or check the specific course offerings for geography:


How is the Master in Geography organised?

For all practical information about the Master in Geography (including procedure for the Master thesis, regulations, language requirements, and guidelines), please refer to the website of the geography unit:

Attach the flyer pdf


Which courses do I have to follow in order to obtain a Master in Geography?

Please refer to the collection of regulations and study plans on the website of the faculty of sciences:
Direct link to the Master study plan for 201:


When is the course period? When do I have holidays?

Check the academic calendar:


How can I avoid missing an important deadline (e.g. for course registration or exams?)

Check the list of important deadlines on GestEns:

When does my course take place? In which room? Who will teach it?

Check all practical course details on the GestEns portal: (in French and German)
Or on the timetable portal: (also in English)

Incoming Mobility

For all questions related to incoming and outgoing mobility, we suggest you to check the website of the International Relations Office (IRO):

Every year this office produces a very helpful guideline for incoming students:

Check also the website of the Erasmus Student Network in Fribourg:

What incoming mobility programmes exist to study in Fribourg?

There are many possibilities for both exchange students and scholarship research. Please check the website of the International Relations Office about exchange here and about scholarship here

I’m planning to study at the Unifr. What are the administrative procedures to follow? What about the visa, and the insurance?

Check the “incomings” section of the International Relations Office to know all the necessary procedures:

I just arrived in Fribourg: what should I do?

The “incomings” section of the IRO explains all formal procedures to register in Switzerland and in the town as well as information on everyday life in Switzerland:

I’m about to leave Fribourg after an academic stay: what should I do?

Check the “incomings” section of the IRO to know how to close your bank account, unregister from the town and many other practical details:

Outgoing Mobility

For all questions related to incoming and outgoing mobility, we suggest you to check the website of the International Relations Office (IRO) (the section on outgoing mobility is only in French and German!):

What are the steps I need in order to plan a mobility experience?

Check the step guide of IRO:

What mobility programmes are available for students at UNIFR who would like to study in another university (in Switzerland or abroad)?

Check the overview table of mobility programmes:
Or check the list of mobility programmes on the IRO website:

What are the conditions, requirements, deadlines and procedures for the mobility programmes?

You find all detailed information on the website of IRO:


Where can I find the documents I need to organise a mobility experience?

All necessary documents can be found here:


What other practical issues should I be aware of?

Check the practical information section on the IRO website:


What is the language policy of UNIFR?

Check the language politics here:

What are the language requirements to study at UNIFR?

All Information regarding language requirement can be found on the Office of Admission and Registration website. Please check it here:

- For specific language requirements (master, Swiss candidates):

- For specific language requirements (master, foreign candidates):


What are the teaching languages of courses in geography?

Master courses are all in English.

Bachelor courses are both in German and French, with the possibility to take exams (or presentations or written works) in both languages.

How can I improve my language skills?

The Language Centre of the University offers free language courses and learning opportunities:

You can find a tandem partner on the UNI Tandem portal:

Registration and Admission

For all information about registration procedures and admission requirements (for candidates with Swiss or foreign qualifications) please check the website of the Office for Admissions and Registration, or take contact directly with its team:

What are the deadlines for application?

Check here:


What are the admission requirements for a master at UNIFR?

If you are a candidate with Swiss qualification check here:

If you are a candidate with foreign qualification check here:


What is the registration procedure? What are the required steps?

If you are a candidate with Swiss qualification check here:

If you are a candidate with foreign qualification check here:


I have a diploma obtained outside the University of Fribourg, how do I know if it is recognized?

The dean’s offices of the faculties are responsible for the recognition of study achievements. Check the list here:

For the Faculty of Science, please refer to the “Commision des requêtes”:


I started studying in another university and now I would like to pursue my studies in Fribourg. Can I transfer my ECTS? Are my former studies recognized?

The dean’s offices of the faculties are responsible for recognition of credits and courses. Check the list here:

For the Faculty of Science, please refer to the “Commision des requêtes”:


Are derogations from the current study plan or rules possible?

The dean’s offices of the faculties are responsible for derogations. Check the list here:

For the Faculty of Science, please refer to the “Commision des requêtes”:


I’m a guest student. Do the same requirements and procedures apply to me?

Check the section for guest students on the website of the Office for Admissions and Registration:


I’m a student at Unifr, planning a break in studies/ a change in degree or study programme. What should I do?

Check the website of the Office for Admissions and Registration: they have a section with a lot of information on administrative and bureaucratic issues for current students:


What is a definitive failure? What are the consequences?

Check it here:


I’m done with my studies: how can I ex-matriculate?

The Office for Admission and Registration is responsible for this. Check it here:


How much does it cost to study and live in Fribourg?

Check the semester fees and an estimation of living costs here:


How much is the semester fee in Fribourg? Why and how should I pay it?

Check the financial information on the website of the Office for Admissions and Registrations:


What are the possibilities for getting financial support?

There is the possibility to reduce semester fees:

You can also write an application to the Service for Social Counselling and Study Subsidies:

On the website of Uni-Info you find a list of other possibilities for financial support:

University services and Associations

Check the directory of all university services:

Where can I find social, psychological or financial support?
Check the website of the Service for Counselling and Study Subsidies:


Where can I find advice about my studies?
Check the list of study counsellors at the faculty of science:


What does the students’ association do?
The association of all students of UNIFR (AGEF) is a useful contact for several practical issues (accommodation, transport, search for job), but is also engaged in education politics, thereby lobbying for students’ rights. Check their services and engagement on the AGEF website (only German and French):


What does the association of geography students (Fachschaft) do?
The Fachschaft is an important reference for geography students. You can meet other students who can give you advice on many practical and less practical issues and support you in your studies. The Fachschaft regularly organises social activities open to everyone. Check their website and subscribe their newsletter:

Rules and Regulations

Where can I check rules and regulations of the university? Which documents are legally bounding?

Please refer to the university law for issues regarding the whole university:

 Please refer to the study plan and regulation of the faculty of science for questions related to your study at the faculty:

Life in Fribourg

Why should I come to Fribourg?

How can I find an accommodation in Fribourg ?

Where is the library?

Are there sport facilities for students?

Where is the main building of the university?

What’s up at the university today? Are there some conferences, meetings, cultural activities?

Where can I leave my children during the day?

How do I catch (and pay) the bus?

To answer these and many other practical questions about life in the town and at the campus please check the “Campus life” section on the main website of UNIFR:

Further information on the studies portal ( or on Uni-Info ( 

Unit of Geography - Chemin du Musée 4 - 1700 Fribourg - Tel +41 26 / 300 90 10 - Fax +41 26 / 300 9746
nicole.equey [at] - Swiss University