DEPARTMENT HISTORY

The section of Earth-Sciences is part of the Department of Geosciences of the University of Fribourg together with the section of Geography (physical and human). Around the end of the 19th century (1896) the new University of Fribourg saw the creation of two distinct institutes in the same building (see picture around 1902): mineralogy petrography and geology – paleontology.

Following the pioneering period of the first 25 years, both institutes grew during the subsequent decades and established as modern institutions of geology by the 1970-80. Since 2000 the two institutes merged together with the institute of geography broadening the scopes of the new Department.

Unit of Geography - Chemin du Musée 4 - 1700 Fribourg - Tel +41 26 / 300 90 10 - Fax +41 26 / 300 9746
nicole.equey [at] unifr.ch - Swiss University